- You can video chat on WhatsApp for free on iPhone and Android.
- You’ll need a strong Wi-Fi or network data speed to ensure the quality of the video call.
- This story is a part of Business Insider’s Guide to WhatsApp.
WhatsApp is a free messaging app owned and operated by Facebook where you can message, video or voice chat, and share status updates with contacts across the globe.
If you have an Android or iPhone and have the WhatsApp application already installed, setting up a video chat call is fairly simple on either device. There is even an option to add multiple users to create a group video call — all you need is a Wi-Fi connection or cellular data.
Here’s how to video chat on WhatsApp.
How to video chat on WhatsApp
There are two ways to start a video chat on WhatsApp for iPhone users. You can either start the call from selecting the video chat option on the main menu on the platform or going directly to the message thread with the contact you want to video chat.
For Android users, simply open the chat with the person you want to video chat and tap the video icon.
1. Open the WhatsApp app from your phone’s home screen.
2. Using the bottom menu, tap to select the Calls icon (resembling a phone).
3. At the top of the Calls page, select the icon on the right resembling a phone and a plus sign.
4. A list of your contacts will appear. Toggle through the list to find a specific contact, or type in the contact’s name using the search bar at the top. To create a group call, tap “New Group Call” directly under the search bar.
5. Once you’ve selected a contact, tap the video icon to the right of their name.
6. A video call will then begin. Wait until your contact answers, and then voila! You got it.